Unavailability allows you to show your management team when you are not available for work. It is designed to repeat and is best for things like school schedules or second jobs.
The info you enter creates blocks of time on the calendar similar to a shift as an obvious visual indication for the person who is scheduling.
Note that based on your company's settings, this feature may not be available to you or the information you set may be subject to approval my management.
From the website:
To set your unavailability, click your name at the top right corner from any page in your account and choose Unavailability from the list.
Employees can also access this page from their Dashboard by clicking the Unavailability tab.
This will bring you to your unavailability tab within your profile. A set will need to contain the following info in order for it to show up on the calendar correctly:
1. Name your set (required)
This helps you differentiate between sets and also communicates to managers what the set is for.
2. Set the start and end dates for the set.
Defining the dates lets Sling know when to add information to your schedule.
For example, if you are just joining your company's account, and know that you will be unavailable to work every Thursday, you can set the start date as the current date and the end date as indefinitely.
- To set unavailability for one week:
Set the start and end dates to correspond with the week you are not available.
- To set unavailability for one day:
Use the drop-down menu to set the repeat option as Never, then choose the date you're not available.
3. Set the repeat frequency.
There are options to repeat a set anywhere from each week to every 4 weeks, or never. Never allows you to block off just one date.
4. Block off the appropriate days and times on the grid.
Without info on the grid, nothing will show up on the schedule. Make sure you add info for every day of the week that applies within your date range.
For example, if marking yourself as unavailable for one week, you would need to block off all days of the week on the grid with the All day links.
The same applies for just one date. Make sure you block off the day of the week on which the date falls.
If you only need to block off part of a day, you can click within the grid to set a block as short as 1 hour.
To adjust the times, you can click and drag the edges. The times can be adjusted in 15-minute increments.
5. Save your settings!
Most importantly, remember to click Save or Request when you're done adding info to a set.
From the mobile app:
Tap the More icon, then tap unavailability in the list.
To add a new set, tap the + icon at the top right corner.
Once you get to this screen, there are several items you must complete in order for your unavailability to show up on the main calendar.
- Name your set (required). This will help distinguish it - especially if you plan to add more than one set.
- Set start and end dates for the set. For example, this will be a fall class schedule, so the start date aligns with the beginning of the semester and the end date is after the semester is over.
- Choose the repeat setting. This is how often the set should appear on the schedule. (See above for setting single dates or weeks)
- Choose the days of the week the set applies to. Tap the + next to the days of the week to block of that day or add time information. Without adding info here, nothing will show on your manager’s end, and you could potentially be scheduled when you’re not available.
When you tap the + next to a day of the week, you open the details for that particular day. On the day screen, you can choose to block off the whole day or you can add specific times for that day.
Important: Once you have all the details for that day the way you want them, remember to tap Add at the top right.
Repeat those steps for any other day of the week that needs to be included in the set.
Important: When you're ready to send the info to your manager, tap Save or Request at the top right of the screen.
If you need to edit or remove a set, tap the small arrow next to it. Note that you may not be able to edit a set depending on your company's settings. In that case, you can still delete and re-add it for approval.
On the next screen, tap the options button (3 dots) at the top right.