Once you have employees, positions, and locations added to your account, you're ready to schedule. However, there are some settings you may want to adjust before adding shifts so things will appear and function the way you want them to.
Your company settings (Dashboard > Settings > Company settings) are where you will define hours of operation, layout of the week, break settings, and restrictions for employees. These settings affect all other users on the account and can only be adjusted by someone in the admin role.
Let's take a look at each section and all the options.
1. The Hours of operation setting lets you tell Sling when you open and close. The setting applies to all days of the week as a whole. This will also affect the layout of your day view and unavailability settings for all users, so you won't see "closed" hours on the grid.
2. The First day of the week setting lets you choose which day starts your work week and changes the layout of the schedule, unavailability, reports, and more. You can choose any day of the week here.
3. The Breaks setting allows you to choose whether or not the option to add a break to your shifts appears as you're scheduling.
If disabled, you will not be able to add a break to a shift at all. Employees also will not see the option to start a break when using our internal time clock.
If enabled, you will choose additional options:
- Paid or unpaid breaks: this lets you choose whether the breaks are paid or not. This is an all or nothing setting, so if set as paid, any break duration added to a shift will be counted as paid. However, employees can clock out for additional break time beyond the duration added to a shift, which will be counted as unpaid. For example, if a shift has a 30-minute break added and the employee takes 40 minutes, 30 minutes are counted as paid while the remaining 10 are unpaid.
- Default break length lets you set the duration that will automatically populate for each shift. It is still possible to change the duration of a break so it's shorter or longer as you're creating shifts. Just remember that any break time scheduled for a shift while the breaks are set as paid will be counted as paid, regardless of the default length.
You will also notice that the list of break lengths is limited, but you have the option to type any duration into the field.
1. Contact details allows you to choose whether employees have access to their coworkers phone numbers, email addresses, and birthdays. When disabled, they can only view a list of employees added to the account along with assigned locations and positions. Managers and admins will still have access to all details.
2. Scheduled hours of coworkers shows or hides the total hours for their coworkers in the day and week views. Keep in mind that shifts will still show duration totals, so employees can manually add totals if they really want to.
3. Visibility of schedules for managers (Premium and Business only) allows you to hide other locations' schedules from managers who should not be concerned. When disabled, they will only be able to view schedules for the location(s) assigned within their profile. When enabled, they can view other locations, but cannot make any changes.
4. Visibility of schedules for employees lets you choose how much or how little of the schedule your employees can see. When disabled, employees will see just their own schedules while managers and admins can still see the full schedule.
When enabled, you will be presented with additional options for how much data they can see.
5. Visibility of coworkers across locations allows Premium and Business accounts to keep multiple locations within the same account completely separated. When enabled, managers and employees will only see and be able to communicate with employees who are assigned to the same location.
Messages (this setting is included with Premium and Business only)
1. Enable messages feature gives you the ability to completely disable messaging within your Sling account. When disabled, the Messages tab is not visible to any user (including admins and managers).
If enabled, the option to allow or restrict employees' access appears.
Allow employees to start conversations will let you prevent employees from creating any messages or you can enable this option and choose whether they can create both group and private conversations or just private ones.
There are additional restriction options available for group messages as you're creating a new one or editing an existing one.
Tasks (this setting is included with Premium and Business only)
1. Enable tasks feature simply lets you choose whether the feature is accessible or not. When disabled, the Tasks tab will not appear for any user.
Newsfeed (this setting is included with Premium and Business only)
1. Just like Message and Tasks, Enable newsfeed feature lets you choose whether the Newsfeed is accessible. When disabled, the Newsfeed tab is not visible to any user.
When enabled, an option to allow or restrict employees' ability to create Pages will appear.
There are additional options for Newsfeed pages and permissions available when you create a Page.
Available shifts and shift exchanges
1. Allow employees to give away their shifts lets you choose whether or not employees can make a shift available or offer a shift. When disabled, employees won't see them at all, but admins and managers are still able to make these changes on behalf of an employee.
2. Allow employees to swap shifts lets you control access to shift trades. Free accounts have this option disabled automatically. If manually disabled in a Premium or Business account, swaps will be unavailable to all users, including admins and managers. (this feature is available in Premium and Business only)
3. Restrict shift exchanges by location and position applies to offers and swaps. When enabled, employees can only offer or swap a shift if the other employee is also assigned to the location and position of the shift. When disabled, employees can offer or swap shifts across locations and positions. Note that this will automatically be enabled and cannot be changed when the Visibility of coworkers across locations option is restricted.
4. Automatically approve applicants lets you choose whether employees can pick up and exchange shifts freely or whether you want to have managers approve any exchanges. When disabled, a manager's approval is required.
1. The Unavailability settng lets you enable or disable the feature for your employees. When disabled, employees cannot access the settings at all, but managers and admins are able to adjust an employees information on their behalf.
2. Premium and Business accounts can also choose whether or not changes to unavailability require approval. Changes made by an employee would then go to management for review before appearing on the schedule.